Q:What are the vitamins and minerals that tamarind possess, and how do they benefit the skin when applied topically?
A: Tamarind is a very well known herb having many uses such as culinary, medicinal, ornamental uses and as an economic dye. Its botanical name is Tamarindus indica. Following are the contents tamarind & how is it beneficial to us in skin care regime with recipes:
This prized spice is a good source of minerals like Copper, Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Selenium, Zinc And Magnesium, Tartaric Acid, Thiamin, AHA, Vitamin C, Xyloglycans, Vitamin B
- It is a rich source of antioxidants, including vitamin C and beta-carotene, topical creams containing tamarind are suitable for wrinkle management,
- It is rich in AHA, alpha hydroxy acids, which make it ideal for removing skin’s impurities and deep-seated dirt.
- It is very beneficial for lightening your skin tone.
- Its seeds contain hydraluronic acid that replenishes moisture into your skin and smoothes fine lines and wrinkles
- The high amount of skin-nourishing vitamins in tamarind make it ideal natural remedy for turning dull and lackluster skin into glowing and bright one.
- Its seed boosts skin elasticity, provides hydration and smoothness.
Q:Does tamarind have any anti-inflammatory properties? If so, what kind of skin ailments can it help with?
A: The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of tamarind make it a good solution for preventing skin diseases such as eczema. Extracts of tamarind seeds contain xyloglycans, which is used in many cosmetics and pharmaceutical products. They are topically used for treating minor skin rashes.
- How can tamarind be used as a scrub? What will be its benefits?
A: The presence of AHA in the tamarind pulp makes it a good exfoliant for the skin. The AHA in tamarind is also great for fighting pigmentation and dark patches on the skin. Tamarind is rich in AHA, alpha hydroxy acids, which make it ideal for removing skin’s impurities and deep-seated dirt.
Recipe: Add one spoon of tamarind pulp to one spoon of sea salt. Next, add either curd or milk cream to this mixture. Go for curd if you have oily skin and milk cream is the best option for dry skin. Scrub this mix gently in a circular motion for few minutes to remove dead skin layer. Tamarind is packed with vitamin C, enzyme, vitamin B to remove dead skin layers effectively and bring out the fresh skin on the outer surface of skin.
- Can tamarind be used as a toner? If so, how?
A: Tamarind as a hydrating toner quenches thirsty skin without causing irritation as it balances pH levels.
Recipe: Boil tamarind in water and use this water to make a skin-hydrating toner. Take 2 spoons of tamarind water in a bowl. Next, boil tea in water for some time and then strain this mixture to get tea water. Blend tea water and tamarind water to make a skin-nourishing toner. Dip a cotton pad in this mix and apply all over your face to tone your skin.
- Does it have any skin lightening or bleaching properties? If so, how can one use tamarind at home to get these benefits?
A: Tamarind is very beneficial for lightening your skin tone. Tamarind is the best natural bleaching agent which is an ideal alternative to chemicals-laded bleach.
Recipe: Make a skin bleaching face mask with one spoon of tamarind pulp, one spoon of lemon juice and one spoon of honey. Spread this mix evenly all over your face and 15-20 minutes later, wash off with cold water.
Recipe: Extract tamarind pulp by boiling it with water and mix turmeric powder to the pulp. When cooled, this paste can be applied to the skin to get brighter and fairer complexion.
- What are some other benefits of tamarind?
A:Tamarind seed extracts are beneficial for skin care. Tamarind seed boosts skin elasticity, provides hydration and smoothness.
This contains hyaluronic acid that helps in skin moisturization and smoothes fine lines and wrinkles.
Tamarind seed is water-soluble, hence it is used for serums, gels, facial toners, moisturizers and masks. This also acts as an anti-aging formula.
Tamarind is used as blood purifier.
Tamarind oil has power to whiten and brighten your skin tone and improving your skin’s quality to make it velvety smooth and youthful as well.